Please note that the Old Town Hall Museum will close permanently on Sunday, 29 March
The Old Town Hall Museum provides an introduction to the history of the Old Town of Hastings. The Museum reopened in 1999 following a major refurbishment project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The building is now fully accessible, and contains a wealth of historic exhibits, interactive models and reconstructions.
The displays take the form of a walk back in time, covering all the key moments in the Old Town's history including the clearances of the 1930s, the rise of the Victorian resort, the town as a Napoleonic garrison, the notorious fraudster Titus Oates, the role of the Cinque Ports as well as the fires, floods and raids of the Middle Ages. An audio tour is available.
The Old Town Hall was built in 1823, replacing an 18 th century building on the same site. It has been a Museum since 1949.